Old 03-07-2003, 02:08 PM
animaux

Default Soaker Hoses

Before I "install" my soaker hoses I lay them out in full sun till they are
pliable. I make them straighter and straighter before I put them in he beds I'm
using. I bought mine at Sam's Club and they were in two packs of 50' each and
cost about 10 dollars for two. I bought about 5 pairs. They all work end to
end.

However, if the problem is length, or incline (regardless how gentle the slope)
will determine how much water comes out at one end. There have been times where
I had to splice in a length of rubber hose between front where the water enters
and about mid-point down the length and that fixed some problems I once had with
soakers when the water source was up a slope a bit.

I do think if you lay them out in the full sun and manipulate them into being
softer, you'll have better results. The slightest kink and the water drops end
there.

Victoria

On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 02:24:16 GMT, Charles wrote:

I have a long, narrow planting area that I think would be a good place
to use a soaker hose. I tried one, the area at the head end got
flooded, at the distant end got very little water. I used pull
pressure from the hose bib, it seemed to me that the hose should carry
the water and that the amount leaking out should only be affected by
the porosity.

did I get a bad hose? Are there good ones?