Old 03-07-2003, 02:32 PM
Dean Ronn

Default RR Wheat - but who wants it? (was GM German Wheat Trials...)

Interesting.

In the UK in arable areas canola is the easy one. A spray of dimfop to
control cereals and some trifluralin to dampen down blw is all I use for
nearly all fields (some sometimes need some dow shield for thistles).

But cereals are a big problem, primarily due to resistant and tolerant
blackgrass but increasingly to dimfop resistant wild oats. This is
particularly acute in high organic fields (say 10%+).

RR wheat would be quite nice were it not for the fact that I would
expect the rapid emergence of RR-resistant blackgrass.

--
Oz
Note: soon (maybe already) only posts via despammed.com will be accepted.

Actually Oz, I see that obviously there are a few harder to kill grassy
weeds in your part of the world. With this being the case, obviously there
is a fit for the wheat technology. Our three primary ones are wild oats,
yellow(green) foxtail, and quackgrass.
As far as the canola goes, we've been fighting hard to kill broadleaves
here for some time. Such weeds as round leaf mallow and cleavers have made
Round-Up a (pardon the expression) godsend. Trifurallin is just not
acceptable in a no-till situation, as you are moving too much dirt, and it
would completely destroy the principle. The other two weeds that were very
expensive to control in crop with conventional methods were Canada thistle
and perennial sow thistle. Clopyralid(Lontrel) costs a pile of money to use,
and the Round-Up gives excellent season long control of both.