Old 03-07-2003, 03:56 PM
Kevin

Default Zoinks! pH of tap water is 9.0

Wow! Establishing a new 5,000 gallon pond, doing some analysis on the
water and my electronic pH meter shows the tap water in my town at
9.4. Shocked and disbelieving I checked the water company's website
and they claim a pH of 9. Isn't this pretty high? If I remember my
high school chemistry isn't water supposed to be around 7 to 7.5?
Axelrod's book suggests an ideal range for Koi of between 6.5 and 8.0.
How the heck am I going to achieve that?

My new pond has an automatic fill/overflow device on it. This will be
supplying a very small amount of makeup water at a pH of 9.0 it seems.