Old 03-07-2003, 05:15 PM
Torsten Brinch

Default RR Wheat - but who wants it? (was GM German Wheat Trials...)

On Thu, 03 Jul 2003 12:20:45 GMT, Larry Caldwell
wrote:
(Torsten Brinch) writes:

By all means let it all hang out. And?

Talk about farming.

Right, let us leave it there, your personal problems are not generally
germane.

So, how do YOU handle jointed goat grass?

Oooh, a rare species, not for me to handle. I'd call in a botanist
pronto.

Wouldn't
it be nice to just spray it once with Roundup and be done with the
problem?

Difficult to see your jointed goatgrass as much of a problem if it can
be just sprayed once with Roundup to be done with. Now, OUR annual
rye-grass, THAT'S a problem, it just keeps coming and coming, despite
all the Roundup we throw on it, on average, 0.4 kg glyphosate/ha
arable/year, most of that in the autumn. Of course Roundup -- rather
than the usual grass herbicides -- could theoretically be useful for
control in the spring on a winter RR wheat. However, rather mooting
that option, Roundup is set to be restricted to autumn use, because
it has been found to contaminate our groundwater.