Old 03-07-2003, 06:20 PM

Default Yuck - smelly plants

there is a basic difference in how people pot up plants that go into the pond or even
in a veggie filter. Some people put them into open pots with gravel or other
material that wont silt out into the pond. Others put them into closed pots using
good loam, shove fertilizer tabs down into the mud and cover the top with rocks and
gravel to keep fish from stirring up the surface. yes. the mud in the closed pot
will stink. this is anaerobic bacteria making hydrogen sulfide and is what normally
happens in closed pots. it is important to NOT disturb the plant in the pond or this
gets released. I take my pots out before fiddling with them (to repot only). I find
closed pots with fert tabs makes for larger plants. I only have 2 water lilies in
the pond. both are huge.
however, water that is both greenish and oily indicates rotting material (from the
bottom of the pond?) is getting mixed into the water, unless somebody has been
spraying for mosquitoes or ????
Ingrid

(TomNavyRet) wrote:
However, My water is a slight greenish color, has an almost oily feel to it,
and when I went to divide my pigmy water lily the dirt smelled like an old
soured swamp or something. Is this
"swamp smell" normal for the plant dirt or is there a problem with my pond?

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.