Old 03-07-2003, 11:32 PM
john darling

Default Fence Posts

"sw" wrote in message
Chris Hogg wrote:

What is the best way to stop wooden fence posts rotting below ground
level? My understanding is that keeping them out of contact with the
soil helps considerably (i.e. by setting them in concrete), but would
wrapping the bases in polythene make things better or worse (allowing
for some drainage at the base to let water out)?

My go! My go!
Having just put up a fence here are some tips that I got:
- Soak the bottom of the posts for a day or two in a mixture of old engine
oil and creosote.
- Put a collar around the concrete.
- Put concrete posts in the ground and bolt the wooden posts to them-
probably yhe best way and not all that obstrusive.
- Plant a good defensive hedge (holly, hawthorne etc) along the fence so
when it does eventually go the hedge will have taken its place