Old 03-07-2003, 11:44 PM
Salty Thumb

Default mulch alternative suggestions wanted

Alexander Pensky wrote in
:

Keep an eye on the "little onion looking shoots" and let me know how
they're doing in a couple more years. You may change your mind. My
beds covered with landscape fabric became seriously infested with
those onions. You have to dig out the bulbs which are about 5 in.
below the surface. With the fabric, you can't do that.

I took a look outside and there were no signs of the little onion looking
shoots which I had promptly snipped last year. Are they dormant this
time of year? Where do you suppose yours got the energy to keep
spreading?

I put in some new holes for flowers recently I and did not see any of
the matting you describe. Southeastern Virginia. There are no trees
in the area. North facing.

Yeah, I didn't have those problems along the north side of the
building either. But that's because nothing much grows on the north
side anyway; not enough sun. So it matters little whether you use the
fabric there.

The north side of my house gets enough sun to grow plenty of weeds. Now
that I've put the landscape fabric in place, there are plenty of flowers
with little to no maintenance.

-- Salty