Old 04-07-2003, 01:32 AM
James Mayer

Default Dog eats tomatos

On Thu, 03 Jul 2003 13:23:04 -0400, Pat Meadows
wrote:

On Thu, 03 Jul 2003 10:57:48 -0600, John DeBoo
wrote:

Well, no. But only because we fenced them out of the
garden.

Our two large dogs would otherwise be very happy to eat
tomatoes and lots of other veggies. They wouldn't leave
much for us!

I tried the fence trick once but she got around it so I figured I
simply needed to plant enough for her and us.

We looked outdoors this morning and BOTH our dogs were in
the garden: they've learned to put their front paws on the
chicken wire fence, and bend it down. Then they step over
it. We know this because that's how they got OUT of the
fence, we saw it. Drat.

We're re-fencing in a week or two (for another reason) with
4' welded wire fencing, and will enclose the garden with it
- that will keep them out of the garden. That's what we
have for a perimeter fence, and so far, so good.

As for veggies in
general, she most think they are meat or something - she harvesyts
the garden, he just begs.

It's not unusual: lots of dogs will enjoy lots of different
veggies. We have one (a rough collie) who will eat
absolutely anything that people eat, with his favorite treat
being a piece of banana. Our other dog is selective about
veggies and fruits, but will eat quite a few of them.

Pat

I had a Siberian Husky that would try to eat anything he saw me
eating and would pick beans and ate the centers out of my nice chinese
cabage and other veggies I had growing, but try as he may, he couldn't
eat oranges or tangerines. It's not that he didn't try, but the first
little bit and he would have to get it out of his mouth. I think it
was the sour that he didn't like.