Old 04-07-2003, 02:20 AM

Default Magnolia "Jane", is it multi-stemmed?

To my eye, the 'little girl' magnolia hybrids look best as multi-trunk shrubs.
I have 'Ann' , limited to three stems and at 10 years old it looks terrific.
The trunks are gnarly and great looking in winter.

By the way, magnolias layer quite easily. Instead of pruning off unwanted stems
immediately, try layering them to make more plants.

--beeky

Craig Toth wrote:

I bought a Magnolia "Jane" from Wayside gardens last year and I'm getting
more stems coming out of the root ball. I was wondering if this was the
natural way that this Magnolia looks or if I should I cut these to force the
tree to have one central trunk?

Thanks In Advance.