Old 04-07-2003, 07:20 AM
Radika Kesavan

Default Sevin and toxicity?

kljcvlzkj wrote:
"Radika Kesavan" wrote in message

Sorry my meaning was not clear the way I wrote it. I was simply
wondering if may be all the other toxic efforts reported are from
intentional exposure of experimental animals to very high levels of
Sevin in toxicology experiments. Even pure sodium chloride can be
toxic if one intentionally took it to very high concentrations in
experiments, I reckon. It is just that the amounts of Sevin where
toxicity is claimed in that document, on cursory reading, appear
very high. May be I am missing something.

Not really missing anything, but maybe missing some of the behavior
of the beast. Sevin has to be ingested, and has to be consumed in
high quantity to do its thing. Years ago, in the early eighties, I
was working for the local parks department in the forestry division.
The city had a problem with a little creature called Tusic Moth
eating all the Blue Spruce trees, and as the Blue Spruce was the
state tree the founding fathers were understandably upset, so we used
a product called SevinMol on the trees. The Sevin did exactly what
it was supposed to do, which is it clogged up the moth's digestive
systems to the point where they couldn't take in enough to survive,
but it also had an unexpected side effect. The local Lark Bunting
population, which of course was the state bird, began eating the
dieing moths, and in turn began to die...

Very interesting tale.

So, perhaps there are some places to use this stuff, like where there
is a large bug population but there isn't a bird population,

Thank you for explaining that. I was genuinely puzzled.

but I'd certainly not use it on a vegetable garden.

We do not use any synthetic organic pesticides on any plant anyway, but
in our climate, such measures are also unnecessary. Besides, I try not
knowingly handle such chemicals outside of my workplace, and so, if such
measures are necessary to grow a certain something I would probably opt
to not grow that certain something - it is just my choice, that is all.

--
Radika
California