Old 04-07-2003, 09:08 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Default Ultimate Lotus Garden

My thoughts, as it always scares me to think of letting anything run wild,
eventually they would become root bound and then think of the work to fix
that? ~ jan

I dunno. I have never done this before. What will the work be?

Last year many local ponders were invited out to a lotus pond that had been
an experimental trial as a food crop. So they hacked and they pulled and
they just got plain muddy. In the end I don't think anyone got those tubers
to grow, and if they did not for long, I think the tubers got hacked into
because people couldn't see what they were doing. Whereas a lotus in a pot
just has to be up ended, rinse off and you can tell tubers from runners and
cut in the right places. At least I managed to do that and both groups are
growing and budding, and I feel I have a brown thumb with lotuses.

Moral of the story: if they get root bound, and growth becomes pathetic,
when you try to redo you may have to rebuy. Plus, a potted plant is so much
easier to rearrange, remove, replace. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a