Old 04-07-2003, 11:32 AM
gmt

Default Bay Trees

In article m,
AndWhyNot wrote:

Apologies if this post is repeated .......... watered well but posts
not appearing !!

Hi All.

A friend had a great small bay tree, in a big pot, stands about 5'
tall.

Will it be possible to take a 'cutting' and prepare it with rooting
compound, and pot up etc etc.

Any advice please, where to cut, when to cut, what to pot up in, and
success rate ???

Thanks in advance

Didn't reply the first time around as I decided there
must be others out there with more positive experience
than I have had. Possibly not!

I tried cuttings, with rooting hormone and without,
in sharp sand plus compost, in potting compost
and simply stuck into the pots of other plants
(my favourite method). No luck. I tried layering
(not easy but with a sunken patio I could peg the bay
out on the soil of the level above). No luck. I tried
air layering - moss, plastic bags the full works. No
luck. I tried grumbling. This, after a fashion, was
the successful technique. The one bay tree became
three, because two members of the family then
bought me baby bay trees as birthday presents. So I
gave one of the new bays to my friend, which was what
I was hoping to achieve in the first place.

Don't suppose this helps (DSTH - could become a useful
new acronym)

JillT