Old 04-07-2003, 03:08 PM
Julie Sloan

Default compost turned into a worm farm

On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 01:45:52 GMT, Phisherman typed
these words:

I've been layering azola from the pond, kitchen garbage, and old
compost to a pile that suddenly is riddled with nightcrawlers. The
worms are consuming the kitchen scraps in a day or two and the pile is
warm. Is this typical for a compost pile to turn into a worm farm? I
guess it's time to go fishin'

Not only that, but:

We bought two dozen nightcrawlers to fish with (our worms were small)
and brought home the ones we didn't use, to release in the compost.

Those nightcrawlers are prolific! Within two weeks (of release of
five or six) I cannot stick a pitchfork into the compost without
picking up three great big worms!

I know they're very good for the compost and garden.

Julie

http://www.bobsloansampler.com/

Bearskin to Holly Fork: Stories from Appalachia
by Bob Sloan ISBN: 1-893239-21-7