Old 04-07-2003, 05:56 PM
Kay Easton

Default Growing Clematis from seed?

In article , David W.E. Roberts
writes
Hi,

I have been gradually increasing my population of Clematis, mainly on the
North side of the house, and some are still flowering whilst others are
over.

One particularly produced a myriad of fluffy seeds which dropped in and
around the pot within which it is growing.

This prompted a thought:

"If the Clematis produces loads of seeds each year, why is my garden not
knee deep in Clematis seedlings?".

I've got a few self seeded tangutica coming up in the cracks in the
terrace ;-)

Has anyone grown Clematis from home produced seed?

Yes - I planted a head of tangutica in the spring in the hope of
producing seedlings that weren't stuck in the cracks between paving
slabs, and now have 8 sturdy little plants about 8 inches high.

I'm going to try with alpina when the seeds are ripe.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: