Old 04-07-2003, 06:08 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Malathion Rate

In article , animaux writes:
| I'd never use such a toxic poison, and I'm sorry, but you are a poster boy for
| why we have to terminate these homeowner pesticides. READ THE LABEL. The label
| tells you everything you'd need to know how to use this tremendously deadly
| poison.

It's not that deadly to mammals! Humans are in little direct danger
from it - that isn't the problem.

| Why did you choose malathion when Sunspray oil, or insecticidal soap would be
| far more effective than malathion?

Well, I agree that malathion isn't a good choice, not least because
scale insects tend to be resistant to it, but insecticidal soap is
only a little more effective. Much less nasty, of course.

On pot plants, scraping is the best solution, but that might be
impractical on a large bush. I have heard that oil sprays do
work, but the effective ones aren't exactly non-toxic.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.