Old 04-07-2003, 06:08 PM
Charles Hawtrey

Default US Bully: Sign war crime immunity agreement, or lose veterinary program aid

On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 23:53:23 +0200, Torsten Brinch
wrote:

“Whatever the administration thinks of the International Criminal
Court, its tactics in pursuing these bilateral agreements are
unconscionable. Other governments can plainly see that punitive
measures are being used primarily against poor and relatively weak
states with few options other than to give in to the United States.
Signing an agreement will put an ICC state party in breach of its
legal obligations and at odds with other important national interests.
This raw misuse of US power makes the policy all the more
objectionable,” Roth wrote.

Your logic seems to be that other countries have an inalienable right
to US financial aid, regardless of their positions on issues of
interest to the US. I do not see anything wrong with providing aid
only to countries that act in our interest.

The ICC is noble in principle but unworkable in practice. The guilty
can easily evade justice by having sham trials in their own countries,
while well-meaning peacekeepers will be subject to an endless
annoyance of frivolous prosecutions.

--
I don't know why you people seem to think this is magic,
it's just this little chromium switch here... Ah you people