Old 04-07-2003, 06:20 PM
Neil Catley

Default harvesting chilis

Hi all,
I have two chilli plants bearing fruit on my windowsil - I dont know the
exact varieties as they came from a mixed packet of seed, but I think one is
a birdseye (small fruit growing upwards) and one is a habenero (large bulb
like fruit - looks like the habeneros I see in the shops!).
My question is, when and how do I harvest them ?? Some are starting to turn
red, so I assume they're OK to pick but what is the longest I should leave
them - will they fall off when they are 'over ripened' ?? Also, what is the
best method for picking them - do I cut the stem holding the fruit close to
the main stem or close to the fruit ?? Shouwl I leave any of the fruit's
stem attached to the main stem ??

This is the first year I hav grown chillis - advice would be much
appreciated !

Thanks,
Neil