Old 04-07-2003, 06:56 PM
Neil Catley

Default harvesting chilis

thanks for the tips - how about cutting them from the plant - where do I do
it ??
From: "Neil Catley"

My question is, when and how do I harvest them ?? Some are starting to

turn
red, so I assume they're OK to pick but what is the longest I should

leave
them - will they fall off when they are 'over ripened' ?? Also, what is

the
best method for picking them - do I cut the stem holding the fruit close

the main stem or close to the fruit ?? Shouwl I leave any of the fruit's
stem attached to the main stem ??

This is the first year I hav grown chillis - advice would be much
appreciated !

Thanks,
Neil

Pick em when full red--they will rot if left too long. You can pick green

ones
also when they reach a usable size. Use em right away or---thread them on

string and let dry in a airy location. Or pop in a plastic bag and

freeze--no
processing needed. Or cut slits and pack in pure vinegar