Old 04-07-2003, 07:56 PM
Free Radical

Default Vinegar/water weed killing solution?

Chelsea Christenson wrote in message

My master gardener suggested a solution of vinegar and water for
killing the weeds that come up between the bricks in my patio.
Unfortunately, she's on vacation now, so I can't ask her: what is the
correct ratio of vinegar to water?

leap frog as the original is missing from my server

The ratio depends on a lot of different conditions and factors.

With dry soil it is better to use more water with the same vinegar. Damp
soil will take a stronger mixture. Alkaline soil will require a strnger
mixture than soil that is already a little acidic.

Grass which tends to run a little more acidic that broad leaf plants
naturally take more vinegar to pickle the roots.

If you are not concerned about other plants near the bricks you want to
treat you may as well go full strength and get the job done the first time.
If you are concerned about poisoning other plants near by it is best to
start light and increase the strength as needed.

Basically it is best to just experiment with the conditions you are working
with until you find the right mixture for those conditions.