Old 04-07-2003, 08:08 PM
Lynn Boyd

Default [IBC] Bonsai and Disabilities

Iris,

A physical therapist will help without hurting and has the
knowledge to exercise that shoulder and arm and the shoulder
blade, too, so it will keep some flexibility, otherwise your
trouble will get worse probably. Daily routine limits our
shoulders and muscles to one set of routine movements while
the real flexibility and balance slowly fades.
You would be entitled to a physical therapist under your
health care system or medicare. It really feels good to
have an arm loosened by their knowledgeable manipulation and
you tend to make more movements with it then and can progress
the flexibility, thus relieving some pain.
I first over-stressed my shoulders with golf, then with
bonsai lifting and flagstone placement - so even without
serious arthritis I know one can fight the old tendon damage.
I discovered that surgery to reattach tendons are not so good
in women, or impossible where thinned in fiber.
My husband is almost entirely an invalid from injuries and
rheumatoid so I have seen what these therapists can do. The
tai chi would add some more flexing cause its movements as Jim
explained have so much variety. Slap a few of those quick
ready-made hot patches on and go for it. Really - try those
instant hot patches - they let you relax. Pilates took too
much room and equipment for me and tai chi too far away. I
thought it might be the same for you since you mentioned ranch
or farm house.
Glad to hear you're fighting it -
Lynn

My left shoulder is shot from osteoarthritis. When I do a

lot of
wiring or other bonsai work (even though I'm right-handed),

my shoulder feels
it that night. I have no intention of giving this up. Has

anyone with similar
problems developed any tricks or techniques to minimize

shoulder stress?

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++