Old 04-07-2003, 09:56 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Default New Pond Kills Fish

Feeder fish are expected to have a high mortality. I don't know that their
loss will tell you much about your water state....

A hundred percent? They all died by the second day...

That's usually transplant shock. If you're lucky you can ask the store for
their pH and hopefully the clerk knows. Wide change in temperature or pH
can kill them off fast.

Another reason why a Q-tank is necessary, you can make the pH to what they
were in, and slowly change it to what they will eventually be moved to. On
long travel trips I've dropped the pH in my Q-tank to 7.0 or less, as the
pH in the bag will be acidic after several or more hours in a bag. Really
helps the fish adjust with less stress, imo. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a