Old 04-07-2003, 10:32 PM
Jon Shemitz

Default harvesting chilis

Neil Catley wrote:

I have two chilli plants bearing fruit on my windowsil ....
My question is, when and how do I harvest them ?? Some are starting to turn
red, so I assume they're OK to pick but what is the longest I should leave
them - will they fall off when they are 'over ripened' ??

A few, comparatively lightly attached varieties will fall off on their
own - but this usually indicates a defective fruit, perhaps one
attacked by bugs. Most chiles will dry on the bush.

In general, you can pick any time from "full size" on ... though for
maximum green chile flavor, you really should wait until they just
start to change color. Best time to pick, though, is after full ripe
and before the first signs of drying.

Also, what is the
best method for picking them - do I cut the stem holding the fruit close to
the main stem or close to the fruit ?? Shouwl I leave any of the fruit's
stem attached to the main stem ??

Some chiles, like serranos, have a weak attachment to the stm, and can
easily be picked without cutting. Most need to be cut: cut anywhere on
the stem. Don't worry about where on the stem you cut, or how much you
leave on the plant - just take care not to harm the plant when
harvesting.

--

programmer, author http://www.midnightbeach.com
and father http://www.midnightbeach.com/hs