Old 04-07-2003, 10:33 PM
randi sharp

Default [IBC] Phoenix Graft- Art of Bonsai Design

In Colin Lewis' book The Art of Bonsai Design, pg., 55 the caption related to the top picture (1986), references soaking the driftwood in a wood preservative, "soaked the driftwood in brand-name timber preservative (making sure it was a type safe to plant
s when dry) and treated it with lime sulphur." To repair a rotten inner trunk I have used a wood hardner however when dried, the hardner left a 'sheen' on the wood. Knowing this I am hesitant to use this same product on my driftwood base due to the sheen
the wood hardner leaves on the surface and the assumed reduced absorption of lime sulphur due to the finish. If anyone else has soaked the 'base' in a wood preservative? If so, what brand of preservative was used? Did you need to 'rough up' the surface so
the surface would readily absorb lime sulphur?

Thanks -

Randi Sharp

Richmond, VA

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++