Old 04-07-2003, 10:33 PM
Jim W

Default Disinfecting tools

Janice wrote:

I've just discovered azalea gall on some plants, so I've snipped off the
growths with secateurs.

It occurred to me that I might transmit the disease from plant to plant when
I use the same secateurs, so I assume I should disinfect them. What can I
use to disinfect them? Bleach? Boiling water? If I use a chemical, would
I be able to use the secateurs immediately or would I have to wait until
they're dry?

Thanks.

Bleach or any antiseptic spray for a quick wipe over..

Best to service and clean your secatuers about once a month/week
depending on use..

The way I was taught to clean was to strip down the tool, remove any
obvious loose dust/dirt then wash metallic parts in hot water and
washing up liquid. Use wire wool/brush to remove dried sap if necessary.

Then dry, sharpen blades, apply grease to moving joints and nuts/bolts
and apply a protectant such as WD40 to blades..

Then reassemble...

This assumes that you are not using 'disposable' snips of course;-)

That said you do need to know the nature of the disease.. Azealea gall
is fungal (Exobasidium vaccinii) so cleaning secateurs is good practice
in this case.
//
Jim