Old 04-07-2003, 11:56 PM
Kitsune Miko

Default [IBC] Phoenix Graft- Art of Bonsai Design

I would like to add a small question. Does old lime sulphur is less
effective than newly home-made lime sulphur? Or its effectiveness depends
on the type of wood? I have been trying to bleach a large piece of dead
wood of bougainvillea and have had some difficulties.

Kind regards

Samuel

I use commercial lime sulfur straight out of the bottle, old or new. I
find it does not bleach as much as coat the wood. The coating turns white,
but the wood color shows through. You need very clean wood to start
with. In California many use (horrors!) white artist's colors with just a
touch of black to tone it down. We do this for shows not for protection or
permanence. I find a bit of metallic luster paint added to the white paint
really duplicates the desert patina found naturally on California Juniper.

Kitsune Miko

PS.

Pheonix, Bird from Greek Mythology, from the flame returns to life
Tanuki, Badger from Japanese mythology, shape shifter, trickster, usually male
Kitsune, Fox from Japanese mythology, shape shifter, trickster, usually female

Why are we using a Greek symbol to describe something we do in a Japanese
art form?

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++