Old 05-07-2003, 12:08 AM

Default Azalea's won't bloom

On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 17:28:19 -0400, Tom Randy
wrote:

On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 14:56:01 -0400, Wishy13764 wrote:

I bought this hardy version from Home depot while it was in bloom. Now,
since the blooms have gone south, how do I get it to bloom again? i live
in NYC area as far as zones go. Do I have to wait till fall? BTW, its in
a 12" inch container.

They bloom once a year. You have to wait until next spring. Take good care
of it though this year. Keep it watered and fed.

I ran into this when buying a beautiful flowering azalea from a local
nursery. Bloomed up a storm, then retreated into sullen foliage.

A Japanese nursery later told me that unlike most nurseries, they grow
their azaleas out of doors, so they follow their natural cycle, but
the one I had bought elsewhere had been forced in a greenhouse.

OK, so now I know better.

As to size of container, it all depends on size of plant. You need to
check occasionally that the rootlets aren't poking out of the bottom
of the container. If so, it needs repotting. Or the roots can
migrate upward along the sides of the plant which is also an indicator
that it doesn't have enough room. You can "tap" it out and check
from time to time; doesn't hurt the plant if done carefully.

Keep it watered, yes, but what about "fed". Aren't there times when
one should cut back on fertilizer? I'm talking from Zone 8/24, So.
Calif Coastal, so not sure about OP's zone.

Is it indoors? In NY, I would assume it would have to be, at least
part of the year. Don't let the air conditioner blow on it and keep
it off the radiator, but give it plenty of light. (You know
that...g)

--

Persephone