Old 05-07-2003, 09:20 AM
Ron B

Default Riding Mower

On 03-07-03 16:54, in article , "GRL"
wrote:03-07-03 16:54

I bought a 15 horse Sears with hydrostatic drive over 10 years ago. B&S OHV
engine. No oil filter. It's made by MTD and cost ~$1,000. Use it weekly
during spring/summer/fall to do my 1/2 acre lot. The only service I do is a
once a year oil change (synthetic oil) and cleaning out the air cleaner
element annually. Oh yeah, batteries last about 2 years ($20 at Sam's). I
sharpen the blades once or twice a year.

Never have had any problems. I could have spent 50% to 100% more for a
big-name tractor, but it is inconceivable that it would have performed
better than that inexpensive Sears/MTD has. People like to scoff at MTD
stuff and call it junk. It is not junk. It is reliable, not too expensive,
and way plenty good enough for home-owner use. People who insist that you
need anything "better" for home-owner use simply don't know what they are
talking about or have too much money they feel a need to waste.

Glad you have had good luck mowing your 1/2 acre lot using a Craftsman. I
would like to add that using a Craftsman cutting an area two or more times
the size of your lot IMHO is rolling the dice.

I have used an 18 horse Craftsman mower with filtered synthetic oil too.
Maybe you got lucky or I didn't, but aside from the Kohler engines on many
recent mowers, I don't think they are as reliable as you state. In fact, I
had so many failures of the deck (always lubricated) that it drove me crazy.
After the third belt swap (and new set of blades) in six months, I finally
had enough. Not to mention the slipping transaxle when pulling anything...

I have a neighbor who has been using his Cub Cadet for 40 years. I got my
3235 model garden tractor last year. Yes, it costs more than a Craftsman or
MTD, but with proper maintenance will likely last 40 years too IMHO.

Whatever you may believe, a good indicator of longevity is the unit designed
to be serviced? Sealed transaxles without filters are a good indicator of a
unit that cannot handle more than gentle use IMHO.

Next time you are shopping at Sears, check out the line of tractors lined up
in back of automotive (especially in the Fall) waiting to be 'fixed' or
exchanged.

Ron