Old 05-07-2003, 01:44 PM
Pat Meadows

Default harvesting lettuce

On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 23:12:12 GMT,
wrote:

This is a little late, but there's an argument for planting leaf
lettuce, since one can peel off the outside leaves for the table
repeatedly w/o having to pull up the plant.

Dunno if leaf lettuce would "bolt" as fast as iceberg, but it's for
sure much more nutritious; the darker the better.

It also tastes much better (IMHO), and grows much faster.

I've read that leaf lettuce does not bolt as fast as
iceberg, but most of mine has certainly bolted now. It's
been pretty hot the last two weeks.

I'll start seeds for more in a day or so, and grow it in
pots on the deck - I can drag them into shade on very hot
days.

Pat