Old 05-07-2003, 03:44 PM
Frogleg

Default harvesting chilis

"Frankhartx" wrote
From: "Neil Catley"

My question is, when and how do I harvest them ?? Some are starting to

turn
red, so I assume they're OK to pick but what is the longest I should

leave
them - will they fall off when they are 'over ripened' ?? Also, what is

the
best method for picking them - do I cut the stem holding the fruit close

the main stem or close to the fruit ?? Shouwl I leave any of the fruit's
stem attached to the main stem ??

This is the first year I hav grown chillis - advice would be much
appreciated !

Pick em when full red--they will rot if left too long. You can pick green

ones
also when they reach a usable size. Use em right away or---thread them on

string and let dry in a airy location. Or pop in a plastic bag and

freeze--no
processing needed. Or cut slits and pack in pure vinegar

thanks for the tips - how about cutting them from the plant - where do I do
it ??

Cut/clip through the stem. This *light touch* business will have you
wrenching branches from your chile plants. They don't have a neat
little 'detach here' bend like tomatoes. Most peppers can be
'harvested' pretty much as soon as they're big enough to recognize
whether they're bell or jalapeno. We eat/cook/use peppers in all
stages of maturity. In general, the flavor sweetens and mellows
somewhat as the fruit matures and, perhaps, changes color. And
eventually they will rot on the plant. They *don't* drop when they're
"ready."