Old 05-07-2003, 04:20 PM
Rodger Whitlock

Default Bay Trees

On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 20:40:21 +0100, wrote:

We have a big [bay] tree in our front garden and growing.

So I thought I would take cuttings. The first time I did it, it was
sharp sand and potting compost (all I had), no rooting powders, into
the shade with a clear poly bag on to and left them for over a year!!!

They worked, well two of the six. They are now potted up and growing
away.

Tried putting some into potting compost without the bag. Result: after
many months with the leaves still green, they suddenly fell off and
experiment failed..

will have to try again with the poly bag treatment and see if I can
repeat it. The leaves were kept from contact of the poly by a number
of sticks.

I usually put a plastic bag over cuttings of woody material. I've
been doing it for a long time and it seems to work.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada