Old 05-07-2003, 05:08 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Bay Trees

In article ,
Mike wrote:

This is what we have found. They almost grow like weeds, but when I
mentioned this before on this newsgroup, someone said that they were not
the edible/seasoning Bay but something else, even Laurel, but 'er
indoors, the cook' said no, they are the edible ones.

Boggle. I have never seen them set viable seeds in the UK, and they
haven't naturalised. Bean says that the sexes are on different trees,
so it is possible that most of the ones grown in the UK are of one
sex (like gingko).

So there is the answer, find someone with a mature tree and soldier on
with little seedlings.

No - a breeding pair :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.