Old 05-07-2003, 06:08 PM
K Barrett

Default AOS forum

It goes even farther than that. Some of the advice he gave in the magazine's
Q&A column advised building against code, and made light of a certain
state's politics (It may have been California, but I can't recall right now)
both out of the range for a Q&A column. While Andy might be a great
raconteur, unfortunately it doesn't carry over into print. Eric has alluded
to his unprofessional responses on the AOS Forum. Some of which, IMHO, were
down right mean.

I like Andy Easton. He has been very nice to me. He has helped me of his own
volition without my asking for it. Therefore the meanness of some of his
posts on the Forum I take to be out of character, since my personal
experience with the man has been otherwise. I can only assume that working
for the AOS was more stressful that he imagined when he took on the job. I
may be wrong, but that's how I'm choosing to rectify the dichotomy between
my personal experience with the guy and his actions (or people's
interpretations of his actions).

That said, I too have stopped posting on the Forum. I find it cliquish.
Which could be an amazing comment coming from me, because OrchidSafari has
been labeled cliquish to the extreme. That's why I persisted in posting to
the Forum, because I knew OrchidSafari wasn't really cliquish, we'd talk to
anyone, so I assumed the same misperception applied to the Forum. Not so. I
got sick of posting to the Forum only to have members of the clique say the
same thing I just had, yet they got acknowledged while my post went unread,
for all I knew. I don't know about you guys, but it takes me a long time to
write a post. I read and re-read it several times to be sure it says what I
really want it to, then after that I read it again. It probably it takes me
30-45 minutes to write what seemingly is a simple post. So why work so hard
just to be ignored? So I left. Not that anyone noticed, LOL!! But my orchids
have been watered and fed every week now that I'm no longer wasting time
writing for the Forum, and I've won 2 AOS awards. And I've lost 31.2 pounds
since I stopped hanging out on the computer in general. So there.

A note about OrchidSafari, for those of you who've tried it and gave up.
Please come back, because I'm sick of talking to the same old people. *G* To
my everlasting chagrin 95% of the talk on OS isn't about orchids. But hey. I
don't moderate the talk. We just have a Credo - a code of civility - and if
people want to talk about their grandkids, then there you are.... HOWEVER! I
take the attitude that you get the chat room you make, and if you don't like
the subject stop lurking and change it back to orchids. But do it nicely
please, we *do* have a Credo to uphold. *G*. That said I think our classes
are still one of the best orchid features on the web (held the second
Wednesday of the month, and please don't interupt the speaker!!). One of
these days I'll get control of the domain name, and then I'll be able to
move the archives all to one place, instead of having so many scattered
archives.

Lastly, rgo remains the best place on the web for orchid information, IMHO.
The tenor of conversation can be at any level here, and it can get pretty
complex, which I like. Plus no one has even tried to set themselves up as
newsgroup king because they'll get ripped a new asshole if they do (*G*). It
like the wild west.

Well, I seem to have blathered on long enough. So I'll shut up now.

K Barrett

"Eric Hunt" wrote in message
Jerry,

Fully participating in vicious childish personal attacks on the forum

while
posting as a staff member of the AOS. Yes, they were in response to others
doing the same, but a professional would have simply not taken the flame
bait.

-Eric in SF

"Jerry Hoffmeister" wrote in message
s.com...