Old 05-07-2003, 06:08 PM
Sarah Dale

Default Local Council subsidised compost bin, any good?

On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 19:15:58 +0000, Sam wrote:

I was very pleased to read that you were composting food
waste from your place of work. That is above and beyond the normal call of
duty!

Well, it just seemed such waste to throw them out. And I can easily
carry an empty ice cream container (quite a large one, admittedly)
back and forth on the bus.

I agree, the amount of waste people generate is amazing, and what do they
expect to happen with it???!!! They have recently introduced a "green"
policy at my workplace - you know, usual stuff - turn off the lights at
night, recycle your waste paper, I also think we will be having the
building double glazed, and they have added extra insulation to the roof.
But they could do so much more by separating the rubbish properly and a
few other tweaks and changes - still I suppose its a step in the right
direction. Mind you the policy get a lot of negative remarks from some of
my less environmentally clued up colleagues - I refrained from hitting
them in disgust!

I think the legislative drive will hopefully help things along. What we
really need to do is ensure all goods made are 100% recyclable, and made
in a substainable way. That would go a ways towards solving some of the
problems this world has. We also need to get certain countries less
consumer orientated, and go back to making things last as long as
possible, rather than the modern cycle where things are only built to last
7 years or so and then fall apart...

Sorry, I'll get off my soap box now, but these are issues I feel strongly
about, and don't often get a chance to discuss.

Sarah