Old 05-07-2003, 06:20 PM
zxcvbob

Default OT Salsa

samuel l crowe wrote:

I want like to can a few pints of salsa, I like it spicy hot.
Does anyone have one or several recipes they would share?

I made this last year and it was very good. I used all jalapenos and
serranos. I also have a recipe that has to be pressure canned that I can
post if you want it.

Chile Salsa (Hot Tomato-Pepper Sauce)
From http://extension.usu.edu/publica/foo...de/cangui3.pdf

10 cups peeled, cored, chopped tomatoes
6 cups seeded, chopped chili peppers*
4 cups chopped onions
1 cup vinegar
3 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Combine ingredients in a large saucepan. Heat to a boil and simmer 10
minutes. Ladle hot into pint jars, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Adjust
lids and process in a boiling water canner: 15 minutes at 0-1,000 feet
altitude, 20 minutes at 1,001-6,000 feet; 25 minutes above 6,000 feet.
Yield: 6 to 8 pints *Use mixture of mild and hot peppers.

IMPORTANT:
The only changes you can safely make in these salsa recipes are to
substitute bottled lemon juice for vinegar and to change the amount of
spices and herbs. Do not alter the proportions of vegetables to acid and
tomatoes because it might make the salsa unsafe.