Old 05-07-2003, 06:44 PM
Rand Simberg

Default New Pond Kills Fish

On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 13:50:44 -0700, in a place far, far away, ~ jan
JJsPond.us made the phosphor on my monitor glow
in such a way as to indicate that:

A hundred percent? They all died by the second day...

That's usually transplant shock. If you're lucky you can ask the store for
their pH and hopefully the clerk knows. Wide change in temperature or pH
can kill them off fast.

Another reason why a Q-tank is necessary, you can make the pH to what they
were in, and slowly change it to what they will eventually be moved to. On
long travel trips I've dropped the pH in my Q-tank to 7.0 or less, as the
pH in the bag will be acidic after several or more hours in a bag. Really
helps the fish adjust with less stress, imo. ~ jan

I just tried that this week, on the assumption that it was pH shock
(the tank in the store was down around seven, and my pond is up around
eight). I just put them in the pond yesterday, and will see how they
do.

I also have to say, the pumps don't seem to be bothering them at all.
I put up a piece of flagstone to protect half the tub from the flow,
and they swim around and over the pumps, and then back over to the
quiet side, so I don't think that it was an exhaustion problem.