Old 05-07-2003, 10:20 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Trees to survive in the scottish islands

In article lgate.org,
Cal Mac wrote:
Could anyone please recommend species of trees which could reach a
height of about 7 meters and which would grow fairly rapidly, in the
Islands of the west of Scotland.The main problem is obviously the wind
which can be strong for days on end in the winter.
Can anything survive this,(I mean trees grow in Siberia).

There are also the problems of salt, wet and miserable summers.

The two trees that are native to that area are Scots pine and birch,
but I don't think that ANYTHING will grow rapidly in those conditions.
Well, perhaps moss :-)

It is well worth checking out Inverewe; while it is a little more
sheltered than the islands, its shelter belt trees should be OK.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.