Old 06-07-2003, 02:32 AM

Default salt

You mean Mark Curtis does breed and raise koi?
You are talking about the survival rate of wild carp in lakes and rivers? I would
like my pretty, not-survival-of-the-fittest koi to live longer than they would in the
wild.
All the proof I need is the recommendations of those who breed and raise koi and the
advice of experts who I trust. Like I said, it has to do with stimulating the slime
coat and electrolyte balance, not killing off cooties.
Yes, as a matter of fact there has been a huge leap forward in saving children in 3rd
world countries with acute gastroenteritis using ERT or electrolyte replacement
therapy aka oral rehydration.
http://www.uihealthcare.com/news/cur...isinyoung.html
"The experience with oral rehydration solutions is compelling. Over
90% of dehydrated children can be successfully rehydrated with
intensive use of glucose-electrolyte solutions without the need to
place an IV. The argument made in favor of this therapy is that it is
less expensive and has fewer complications. This type of therapy
can be administered in the patient's home if the child is only mildly
dehydrated or can be given in the emergency room or the clinic for
children with moderate dehydration."
So I certainly do HIGHLY recommend salt solutions for those with severe diarrhea,
like Gatorade or Propel.
Actually, that is what Jo Ann does on Puregold, altho I recommend people with sick
fish call her cause then she can cross examine them about their cultural practices.
251-649-4790. 9am - 5 pm. Ingrid

"Gregory Young" wrote:
Oh, do you know Mark Curtis well?
The fish in question are fresh water. They have survived quite nicely, in
natural non-crowded environments over the centuries with no help (salt) from
man.

Just show me some proof that supplemental salt is required to maintain healthy
fish,
If you truly believe the osmotic piece, the next time you have an intestinal
infection with electrolyte losing diarrhea, start drinking 0.9% salt water,
(isotonic with our tissues), and let us know what happens....

Actually this could be great. We could send digital photographs , along with
descriptions of our ponds, into the "experts" you recommend, who can
diagnose our pond problems over the internet.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.