Old 06-07-2003, 03:32 AM
ARIET B

Default Name the Orphans

A year or 2 ago, a neighbor handed me his most prized possession- his FIRST
orchid, which he bought in bloom....a lovely Vanda. He said he thought he had
failed at maintaining it- and it was a sorry sight. He was leaving Florida for
his northern home. "Would I care for it?"
It had no tag- and so I made one for it- Vanda notagocium. By the next
fall it was in glorious bloom again- and I had forgotten about my
newly-constructed name for the thing. Did I have a time trying to look it up!
Eventually I read the name out loud, and then recalled that THIS was the
mystery plant of the neighbor. When he returned to Florida, I gave him back
his blooming Vanda- and you never saw such a happy man.
I never told him about the name I gave it.
Moral: you must keep some kind of record of your "new" "pet" names, too.

Elinor