Old 06-07-2003, 04:44 AM
bb

Default Other backyard project on the 4th was Oncidium flexorum

On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 17:19:34 -0700, "Wendy" wrote:

Fantastic work bb,

Thanks Wendy. I'm rarely happy with a finished project, and rarely do
I finish a project, for that matter. To be honest, I'm pretty happy
with this one. I still need to add a couple of wall outlets, and a
couple of ceiling fans, and I want to add a water spigot inside the
screen room with one of those fancy curly hoses. But, afaic, this is
one project I actually finished. I'll consider those other items add
ons.

your orchids look happy already

I still need to control the high daytime temperatures, and filter the
light a little more, but for the most part I think they are happier
than they have been for some time. I just decided to move the phals
back out under the oak tree as they were not handling the high temps
well at all.

For me, now they are in a controlled environment so I can observe the
progress and make adjustments as I deem necessary. This orchid thing
is new to me and there's been a rather steep learning curve
considering how many orchids I started with, the poor condition of the
orchids as I received them, and my lack of a decent environment to put
them in.

! I am curious about your
white step shelves that you have. Did you make them or did you buy the set
up kit.

I bought three pre-made step units from Home Depot. They were
pressure treated lumber and I primed and painted them semi-gloss
white. I installed them the opposite of how they were designed to be
installed, ie, they are steeper and narrower than as designed. For
the shelves I used 2"X8"X12'. I think a standard step is
2"X12"Xwhatever.

Cheers Wendy

Cheers to you, also.

bb