Old 06-07-2003, 06:30 AM
Alan Gould

Default got gooseberry plant, but when to pick

In article , certos
writes
I've got a gooseberry plant that has fruit on it. I have no idea on
how to tell when to pick it. Call me clueless I'm not a very good
gardener. do I pick it now or wait till Aug... Sept.... ????

Most types of gooseberries should be ready to pick by now - we have
cropped all of ours except for one later ripening bush which will be
ready in 3-4 weeks time. The berries begin to turn from bright green to
a yellowish or dull red colour, and they will feel softer as they ripen.
They also pull from the stem more easily. A better guide though is when
the birds begin to take them. If you see partly eaten berries on the
ground, pick the rest before you lose them. If you do happen to pick any
under-ripe, they will continue to ripen on indoors, though possibly with
slightly less flavour.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.