Old 06-07-2003, 06:56 AM
Philip

Default harvesting lettuce

"Emmet Cummings" wrote in message
I have over a dozen heads of Iceberg Lettuce with about half having formed

head. Now that
temperatures seemed to have settled in the eighties and sometimes nineties
here in NYC should I
start harvesting? I read that sometimes the lettuce can get bitter?

I'd certainly start harvesting. I read somewhere (can't quite pull where
out of my addled brain) that bolting has less to do with heat and more with
light. You might want to try that on one or two heads, consider putting a
paper bag over them after an hour or two of morning sun. Might work, might
not.

Philip