Old 06-07-2003, 10:08 AM
Geir Harris Hedemark

Default Miniature orchids?

"White Monkey" writes:
adding vanilla to the list of spices and herbs I'm trying to grow that got
me the phal.; it was *there*, you know how it is, and they didn't have a
vanilla orchid in stock and this one just kept nodding away at me...).

"Small apartment" and vanilla don't exactly go hand in hand. Vanilla
requires high humidity, high heat, and won't flower until it is a
significant number of metres long.

I think this is a pity - I would also have liked to grow my own
vanilla.

that sort of thing in answering. I am also aware that the floral return on
orchids is limited--in other words, I'm fine with looking at apparent clumps

I wouldn't know about that. I have an epidendrum hybrid (far from a
miniature, I am afraid. It comes up to my hip when it is flowering)
which finished flowering in the beginning of april. It had kept at it
for three months at that time. Today, the first flower of its new
flower stalks opened.

Last year, it only flowered once. Flowering seems to be related to
size.

Perhaps Larry knows wether there exists such a thing as a miniature
epidendrum? Larry?

I am getting a number of flasks in august. In there is a neofinetia
falcata. Perhaps that would be someting for you? I have no idea how
hard it is to grow, though. Talk to me in three years.

Geir - who also lives in a small flat.