Old 06-07-2003, 10:51 AM
Kay Easton

Default Greenhouse Runner Beans

In article , Janet Baraclough
writes

Runner beans are self-fertile but I've ever heard of self-pollinating
ones. Usually they need bees to fertilise the flowers, which are heavy
enough to open the flowers and get inside. Not many bees go inside a GH;

I always have several bees inside my greenhouse busy cross pollinating
my cacti. ;-)
But then, cacti flowers are more showy than runner bean flowers and
possibly more attractive to bees, so I'd go along with janet's advice.

and anyway it will be too hot for the beans in there. Best grown outside
imho, though if you are in an area with late frosts it's useful to start
the beans in pots in the GH and plant them out in the 2nd week of June.

Janet.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: