Old 06-07-2003, 11:56 AM
Kay Easton

Default Broad Bean Woes

In article , anne
writes
I planted some broad beans for the first time this year but most of the
plants developed black patches on the leaves and looked very unhealthy
indeed.

They do that. It doesn't seem to hurt them. I've assumed it is a sort of
rust - I'd describe it as very dark brown rather than black

It wasn't due to frost or anything like that, so I don't know what
caused it. Anyway, I decided to leave them alone to see what happened and to
my surprise they seemed to recover completely, put on good growth and even
flowered.

Now the flowers are withering away (sort of black and dead) with no signs of
any beans at all. I pressume the beans appear directly under the flowers?

More or less.

Should I wait longer or just give up and cut them down?

Give them another fortnight.

Interestingly, one of the plants in the row is absolutely covered in black
fly but I left them alone to get on with it. I expected them to infest the
other plants too but they haven't!? (I left them alone because I'd given up
on a crop this year anyway).

Next year, take the tips out when the plants are tall enough or have
started flowering - the blackfly aim first for the tips.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: