Old 06-07-2003, 02:32 PM
Iris Cohen

Default "Walking Tree" of Costa Rica. Is it Makainki ?????

"This tree is known as the 'walking tree' because it can move. If the tree
needs to move, it just grows roots on that side and lets other roots die.
BRBR

That would cause the tree to fall over,

I looked at the pictures. It is up on these weird stilt roots, something like a
mangrove. You can easily imagine it growing one root at a time in the direction
of more food or water, and one root at a time dying off on the other side.
Look, if a Welwitschia works, no reason why this can't.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)