Old 06-07-2003, 02:44 PM
Geir Harris Hedemark

Default Miniature orchids?

"White Monkey" writes:
Thanks for telling me this. The heat will be a problem, so I may not get one
after all... but as for it getting to a certain size, they climb, right? I

Yes, they climb.

If you are to get flowers on it, expect to have it go up and down to
the ceiling a couple of times. I have been told that a length 10m is
not an uncommon length for production-size specimens. Not exactly a
miniature.

wire grid there already anyway. That room is so humid I need to open the
door to make tea, or I suffocate. Well, not quite that bad.... Does the

Buy a small digital hygrometer/thermometer combo. It shouldn't cost
more than about 15 euro. If the humidity ever drops below 60%, you
will have trouble.

I have never tried this myself, so all I am stating with such
confidence is hearsay. YMMV.

whole plant require high heat, or only the root system? I've heard very

The whole plant, as far as I know.

to live in this apartment forever; when we eventually moved, having grown
the plant awhile might give it a jump on flowering... ?

I would expect so, but my experience is, as I said, nonexistent.

I know there is a guy on no.fritid.hage (norway.recreation.garden,
literally) from time to time who has grown vanilla in the past in an
apartmentq. He has complained about huge crops of black fungi, but
little vanilla.

If you try there, you might be able to lure him out.

Geir