Old 06-07-2003, 03:59 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

Default "Walking Tree" of Costa Rica. Is it Makainki ?????

"This tree is known as the 'walking tree' because it can move. If the
tree needs to move, it just grows roots on that side and lets other roots
die.

Iris Cohen schreef

I looked at the pictures. It is up on these weird stilt roots, something

like a mangrove. You can easily imagine it growing one root at a time in
the direction of more food or water, and one root at a time dying off on the
other side. Look, if a Welwitschia works, no reason why this can't.
Iris,

+ + +
I can think of reasons why it wouldn't work, but I would not preclude that
it may work. All those pictures show plants on hillsides so they would tend
to move downhill. I don't know enough about stilt roots of palms to say
anything sensible.

It has been shown time and again that truth is stranger than fiction, so who
knows?
PvR