Old 06-07-2003, 04:32 PM
J. Del Col

Default Miniature orchids?

"White Monkey" wrote in message ...
"Small apartment" and vanilla don't exactly go hand in hand. Vanilla
requires high humidity, high heat, and won't flower until it is a
significant number of metres long.

Thanks for telling me this. The heat will be a problem, so I may not get one
after all... but as for it getting to a certain size, they climb, right? I
was planning to train it all over the kitchen window and environs; I have a
wire grid there already anyway. That room is so humid I need to open the
door to make tea, or I suffocate. Well, not quite that bad.... Does the
whole plant require high heat, or only the root system? I've heard very
interesting stuff about growing some warm-root vegetables with their top
leaves actually frosted, if the roots are kept warm. I suppose this is too
much to hope for with a vanilla orchid? Another point is that I don't plan
to live in this apartment forever; when we eventually moved, having grown
the plant awhile might give it a jump on flowering... ?

Umm... as White Monkey says, Vanilla planifolia has to get -really-
big before it flowers and needs more space and light than a kitchen
window can provide.
It is a -tropical- plant; the whole thing has to be kept warm. It is
essentially a greenhouse item. They are grown outdoors in Madagascar.

I hope you aren't considering it as a source of vanilla "beans". The
process of making vanilla pods is a kind of lengthy fermentation that
takes lots of heat and sunlight.

J. Del Col