Old 06-07-2003, 06:17 PM
Kira Dirlik

Default Can I save my apple trees from Japanese Beetles

On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 21:05:17 GMT, wrote:

Tom wrote:
Hi.

I've had two Granny Smith Apple trees for three years and they've
survived yearly bouts with Japanese beetles with only minor damage.
This year they are ten times worse than in previous years .......

Milky spore will only work on the grubs and probably not until next
year. Nothin wrong with Sevin though. About the safest you can use.

For Japanese Beetles, I just go around with my trusty plastic
container of water plus a few drops of dish washing liquid to the
plants that seem to attract them, and urge them into it. I do this at
least once a day. (Over the years I have seen a big decrease in
numbers of the JBs AND their grub stage in my garden soil.)
A neighbor who raises bees posted to our neighborhood Yahoo group
asking us to please not use Sevin dust. The bees go to the plants,
collect the dust just like pollen, take it back to the hive and the
whole colony gets wiped out. I've been trying to hand-pick the flea
beetles off my eggplants, peppers, squash and potatoes, but they are a
lot more astute (and tiny) than the JB's. It isn't working.
Such dilemas. Such chain reactions to things.
Kira