Old 06-07-2003, 06:44 PM
White Monkey

Default Miniature orchids?

It is a -tropical- plant; the whole thing has to be kept warm. It is
essentially a greenhouse item. They are grown outdoors in Madagascar.

Thanks, yes, it does look like I'll have to wait on this one.

I hope you aren't considering it as a source of vanilla "beans". The
process of making vanilla pods is a kind of lengthy fermentation that
takes lots of heat and sunlight.

I was thinking (dreaming) of it as a very-low-yield, impress-your-friends
kind of source, like my ginger and turmeric plants. Oh well! Someday I'll
be able to create the right conditions and I'll give it a whirl. I'm the
sort who's trying to make my own rice wine for cooking and do all my own
curry powders up and so forth (except when there's a "personal" blend going
around one of the shops or markets, like this nice hot madras powder I'm
nearly out of).

Thanks,

Katrina

---